Saturday, November 12, 2016

Of Mice And Men CAUTION: may be spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for of mice and menAs we wrap up in our reading of the book Of Mice And Men, it starts to make me question what it really means to truly care for someone. While I would consider doing a simple act of kindness enough to show someone that I care for them, George thought that someone's life was a good sacrifice to show his feelings. It seems very ironic that George holding a gun in his hand was actually a considerate thing to do in his mind, yet most of the time that is just a sign of danger and fear. Although the ending of this book was spoiled for me, I could see the confusion and the sadness on my classmates faces as I scan the room. Even I experienced mixed emotions as my teacher read aloud and questions ran through my brain. How could a person kill someone they loved? Why did George do this? Was anyone else involved in this action? George shot the gun and I instantly thought he was insane and cruel. However, we then began to read the last page of the book. Even though he didn't simply come out and say his feelings, there was no doubt in my mind that George truly did love Lennie and only had his best interest at heart. I believe that he did this as an act of bravery and heroism. Lennie would continue to struggle on Earth, being that he is a disabled man in a very difficult time, and George was smart enough to recognize this. He did not want to part from Lennie, but in his mind this was a better option for him. Lennie was a good person who made mistakes that did not only effect him, they effected George, too. When I look at their relationship, it reminds me of two siblings. They fight, and bicker, and argue, but love each other unconditionally. Many of the characters in this book longed to have that type of feeling. Curley's wife regrets her past choices and wished she could go back. Candy is starting to realize his old age, and is trying to figure out what to do after he is too elderly to work. Crook's even finds it hard to trust or simply talk to anyone of a different color due to the little amount of attention and respect he receives. Yet, George loved Lennie so much that he was able to point a gun to his head and selflessly pull the trigger to put Lennie out of his unknowing misery.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you worded your response. It was a very detailed analysis and i also liked the way you compared it to your personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great blog post? I loved he way that you analyzed Lennie and George's relationship. It allowed me to look at it from many different perspectives. Do you like how John Steinbeck ended the book, or do you think that he could have had a different ending?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you brought back the topic not only to George and Lennie's sibling-like relationship,, but also back to the other characters in the story. I also liked how you had many questions within your blog so we could really read what you were thinking.

    ReplyDelete